At the planning stage of kitchen repairs, the owner faces several questions: the need to install a kitchen chimney. It is already impossible to imagine modern housing without this equipment because daily cooking has become more comfortable thanks to the ventilation system. The chimney in the interior is not only a fashionable element. It eliminates the smell of burning throughout the house, providing clean and fresh air in the room. If the kitchen is combined with a dining area or living room, small living space, and other rooms, you can not do so without an extractor.
Advantages and disadvantages of kitchen chimneys
A kitchen is a place where food is prepared, which means that in the heat treatment of products, steam, fat, and smoke appear. From these “side” phenomena, the hostess becomes uncomfortable doing household chores, but the condition of the furniture worsens, and the air becomes polluted. Thus, the chimney performs a critical task – cleans the air.
There is an opinion that installing the best chimney arises only for those who use a gas stove. This is only partially true. Cooking on modern induction and electric stoves creates less soot and burning but do not eliminate the spreading of intense flavours throughout the room.
Additional advantages of this technique
- Cooking in the kitchen becomes much more pleasant. The chimney 100% copes with the pungent smells of food, steam, smoke, does not allow them to spread throughout the house.
- Another source of lighting.
- Increases the flow of air into the apartment and maintains a healthy microclimate.
- Absorption of excessive moisture.
- Cleanliness of the working surface. In the process of cooking, fat spreads around the perimeter, reaching the ceiling, leaving plaque everywhere. It will be easier to keep clean in the kitchen where the chimney is installed. Therefore, each time you turn on the plate, you need to turn on this device.
- The whole kitchen will be much cleaner.
But some people do not consider it necessary to install a chimney in their house and think it useless. Let’s analyze the disadvantages:
- During the operation of any ventilation device, there is a noise that irritates many. You can avoid this by choosing silent or low-noise models.
- The kitchen smells, for some people, do not cause inconvenience. Therefore, the declared functions of this technique will be useless for them.
- Some housewives during cooking cope without additional devices but open the windows wide and ventilate the room.
- Install the chimney in small kitchens is not always possible because of its size. In this case, you can look for a portable or portable model (it is also called a construction model).
- The chimney is a device that must be directly connected to ventilation, which can provoke problems with traction in the ventilation shafts of neighbouring apartments.
- The chimney filter quickly becomes dirty, dirt and fat accumulate on it, being an ideal environment for the development of pathogenic bacteria.
- High cost of equipment.
To decide the need to install a chimney in the house, you need to consider all options and make an informed decision.
Types of chimneys and their photos in the interior
A properly selected kitchen chimney in the interior will cope with many tasks: it will be a stylish accessory and protect against fumes, grease, excessive humidity and overheating. To make the right choice, it should be noted that the following criteria distinguish all devices:
- design features;
- algorithm of work;
- amount of electricity consumption;
- additional options;
Consider the main types and their differences from each other.
The unit has a small size and is mounted above the stove; often the air duct is often decorated or hidden behind the kitchen cabinet. This is a suspended structure, which is simple, and operation does not require special care. Such equipment is always in sight, so it is essential that it harmoniously fits into the interior.
This option is convenient when the device is undesirable to flaunt (for example, it does not fit the interior). Small kitchens are often equipped with this ergonomic model. The chimney is mounted in a cabinet above the stove, which saves space. The sliding panel increases efficiency.
A type of built-in equipment is a retractable chimney. Most often it is a flat structure without additional taps and pipes. Due to the retractable work surface, it is often installed in kitchens with a small square. Available in different types of designs: folding, slider, telescopic.,
A popular model, in appearance, resembles a dome or fireplace. The pipes are hidden behind the box, and there are other mechanisms with lattices and filters in the crown. In connection with the design features and large dimensions, Dome devices are considered one of the most powerful presented.
In apartments are much less common than in country houses since the installation is quite time-consuming. Based on the name, the features of this technique are apparent: all communications are brought from the ceiling, there are no restrictions on the form. In the interior, around chimney for the kitchen is one of the most stylish and spectacular options, suitable for modern styles (loft, minimalism).
Criteria for choosing a chimney for the kitchen
For the chimney in the interior of the kitchen to perform all the tasks, you need to take into account the main factors:
This parameter means the amount of air that can clean the chimney in 1 hour of work. This parameter is affected by the footage of the room, the design and the type of built-in engine. You can calculate the performance according to unique formulas. Also these data are in the instructions for a particular model.
The width of the chimney should be at least equal to the width of the hob. If it is smaller, it will most likely not cope with its tasks and will be slower to purify the air. So, for example, if the width of the plate is 60 cm, it is better to buy a chimney 20 cm wider. If due to the design of the kitchen set or the lack of space above the stove, it is not possible to comply with this rule, you can choose another model of small size but with a higher power.
Kitchen appliances work according to 2 principles:
- air outlet into the vent channel,
- It’s forced ventilation (circulation).
The exhaust model is considered the most effective. When installing a chimney that works on the principle of ventilation, you need to constantly purchase replaceable filters and replace them as they become dirty.
Complete set of any chimney in the interior of the kitchen has filter elements, which are of several types:
- Good cleaning – disposable coal elements. The need to replace them should be monitored independently; it depends on the intensity of operation.
- Coarse cleaning – thin meshes of stainless steel or aluminium, which retain particles of soot and fat on their surface. These are reusable filters that do not require special care; they are washed.
- Intermediate filter elements – a mesh made of synthetic material- are disposable elements that needds to be replaced athey becomees contaminated. Their condition should be monitored especially carefully because the grid that has exhausted its resource can disrupt the operation of the entire device.
Ways of working
Modern chimneys work depending on the type of air exhaust. And he, in turn, from the ability to connect to the ventilation shaft. Main modes:
- Flow. Standard type, with an existing mechanism for bringing air outside or into a ventilation channel. Not suitable for old buildings (where ventilation is clogged or not designed for heavy loads) and for housing with ventilation absent in the project (wings, temporary residences, cottages).
- Recirculation. The basic principle is air purification through a system of filters in the chimney itself.
- They are combined with the ability to switch modes from flow to recirculation.
It is worth paying particular attention to optional but also necessary functions:
- Residual ventilation – after turning off, the device continues to work and cleans the air for another 5-15 minutes.
- Interval inclusion. For example, the chimney turns on automatically several times an hour or a day to refresh the air. Ventilation is essential, even if food is not being prepared at this time.
- The electronic timer allows the device to turn off after the appointed time automatically.
- With illumination as an additional source of lighting in the kitchen.
On sale, you can find equipment with several types of control:
- traditional, with a button system;
- slider type;
- touch control;
- remote, on the control panel.
Touch and remote controls are the most convenient to use and easier to clean from contaminants.
The chimney body can be presented in several variations:
- Tempered glass is the most expensive option; it looks very prestigious and aesthetically pleasing. The only drawback is that there are no narrow models (starting from 60 cm).
- Aluminium – the chimney is very durable but quite expensive. It does not require special care, can be washed with any detergents. There are no fingerprints on the surface; the case is not subject to corrosion.
- Stainless steel – such models serve for a long time, have a democratic price. In the modern kitchen, they look stylish; in the care, they are also unpretentious; the only thing is that they can not be washed with metal sponges and use cleaning products with abrasive particles.
- Enameled metal is reliable and robust, and the cost of such equipment is small.
How to choose a good chimney
A kitchen chimney is responsible for fresh air in the kitchen and the absence of pollution on furniture, walls, and even the ceiling. When choosing this technique, experts recommend paying attention to:
- The air pressure that the motor creates. A high indicator indicates good performance of the unit.
- Mode of operation. Devices connected to ventilation shafts work better than in recirculation mode.
- The density of filters – the denser they are, the faster and better the air is purified. There is fatty (coarse cleaning from the most significant air inclusions) and thinner coal, eliminating odours and harmful impurities.
- The presence of a mode that allows you to clean the air as quickly as possible in extreme conditions.
- Size. The dimensions of the chimney depends on the coverage area.
- The method of installation affects the appearance and relevance of a particular kitchen space.
The chimney is a real orderly in the kitchen, which absorbs all foreign odours, fat and smoke, providing fresh air. Therefore, you should not save on it. Considering all the recommendations, you can choose the suitable model, an original accessory, effectively working and bringing significant benefits.