The modern variety of clothing stores for all tastes and colour has pushed the sewing hobby, which in the USSR dabbled every second mistress, into the background. Recently, however, many homemakers buy sewing machines more often, because the situation changes: bedding, curtains and other household items, which can be easily welded with their own hands, are more expensive, and sewing machines are becoming more functional and easier to manage. Do you want to bring your creative vein to life? Then buy a sewing machine, which will be your assistant in many cases.
Chooseing a Good Sewing Machine
At first, non-professionals think that only a technically savvy person will understand the intricacies of various characteristics of modern machines. That sounds like the truth, but you don’t have to know what parts were used in the production, do you? Let’s talk about the features that really matter.
Type of sewing machine
The sewing machine’s principle depends not only on the convenience of using it but also on the price.
- The best option for home use is an electromechanical sewing machine. Its internal structure is completely mechanical, but electronics drive it. Such machines are relatively inexpensive (the final cost depends on the manufacturer and functionality), easy to use. Their repair will also not fly you in a penny—the only drawback of such typewriters – the inability to perform complex professional lines. However, not everyone needs them. Opportunities for such a home master will be enough for tailoring coats, if you want it – the main thing is to choose wisely.
- A computer sewing machine is a great option for a home studio. People who sew to order and earn money with it, such models really expand the possibilities, compared to electromechanical machines. Thanks to the built-in computer board, this smart device can sew not only very quickly, but also perform complex programs with many kinds of lines, loops and even embroidery. However, such models cost almost twice as much as electromechanical ones. We recommend you to think carefully before spending much money, especially if you have not tried sewing before – you are unlikely to use all its features, as it will be tough to manage with such a “brain”. Also, the repair of such a unit is likely to be comparable in value to the new electric mechanics’ price.
Before you get excited about the large number of different lines that can boast expensive models, pay attention to the more important criterion – the typewriter’s ability, what is included in this concept?
- The fabrics that a machine can work with. It is unnecessary to look for a universal model that can cope with any fabrics, from tulle to drape – its cost is unlikely to please you. Think about what you’re going to sew on your typewriter? If it is things for the house and a rare repair of clothes, you can take the most inexpensive model. If you want to sew evening dresses, we recommend looking for a model, specializing in light, delicate, delicate fabrics. Tailoring jeans, coats, and bags will require a more powerful professional sewing machine.
- The type of shuttle affects the reliability of the sewing machine. If you do not want to run often in the service, choose a horizontal shuttle model.
- The stitch’s length is a critical parameter, and the longer it is, the better.
If you plan to sew clothes, you should definitely pay attention to processing loops, which is programmed in the chosen model. There are two options: automatic and semi-automatic. The first option has a great advantage: thanks to the program given once it will automatically process the required number of loops – you will only have to move the fabric in the right direction. The second option will need to be manually adjusted.
If you sew a lot, you will fit the first option, even if it will cost more. And fans of sewing at home will be useful and the second option.
Now let’s look at such options, which are not of fundamental importance, but at the same time, expand the possibilities for creativity and simplify the process of sewing at times.
- Decorative stitches (ornaments, feststons, cut, iron, embroidery, openwork and many other options) will allow you to create unique masterpieces. Most of these lines are provided in computer sewing machines, and some of them can create even the author’s decorative lines.
- The foot pressure adjuster will create ideal conditions for different types of fabric. Electromechanical machines are equipped with special springs, which are adjustable by hand. Computer models more often provide the ability to adjust the foot automatically.
- The puncture force regulator, which is equipped with most professional models, will allow you to stitch even the densest fabrics at slow speed easily. In low-cost models that do not have such a function, the puncture force depends on the speed of the machine at the moment. Note that the ability to work with dense tissues depends on the power of only electromechanical machines, whereas a puncture regulator’s presence determines this parameter in computer models.
- Stopping the needle in the top position will save you from having to twist the flywheel every time you finish the line.
- The sewing machine is another rather important criterion. When buying, ask if it is included in the package:
- A case that protects the machine from dust
- Additional needles for different types of tissues,
- Additional paws for different types of stitches;
Do not be discouraged if complete with your car does not go any accessory that you need – it can be purchased separately in the clothing store.
- The thread is convenient because it facilitates the work in a poorly lit room. It is also convenient if, in the process, you need to change the threads of different colours often. This option can also radically change the attitude to many people who do not like to put a thread in a needle.
As usual, we will choose a suitable model for its functionality and the cost. That’s the ranking of the best manufacturers we got.
- If you do not want to spend the entire salary to buy a sewing machine, and professional sewing is not included in your plans, we advise you to take a closer look at electromechanical models costing up to 10,000 rubles. The variation in their capabilities is quite large, so you will have to choose carefully, scrupulously reading into the specifications. We can only provide a list of the most popular manufacturers in this segment, which are respected by Russian buyers: Janome, Jaguar, Singer, Brother, Comfort.
- If the capabilities of the old mother’s “Seagull” you are no longer enough, and sewing skills allow you to create more complex clothing models, it makes sense to spend on a more functional model of the sewing machine. So, we recommend looking after the machine in the range of 10 to 25 thousand rubles for beginner professionals. This group is led by almost the same manufacturers, adjusted for advanced capabilities: Brother, Jaguar, Toyota, Singer, Janome, AstraLux, Elna.
- Real masters, of course, understand the sewing machines and understand that the most functional and high-quality units can not cost less than 25,000 rubles. Such “monsters” sew skin, jeans and drape, like thin flax, at the speed of a rocket. In this category, the greatest buyer confidence is caused by manufacturers such as Toyota, Brother, Bernina, NewHome, Pfaff, Juki, Husqvarna, Elna. These brands produce real professional “fighters” with hundreds of types of lines that can cope with both the thinnest and densest fabrics. Many of their models connect to the computer, making it easy to program the process. Such units are widely used in the garment industry, easily leaving behind bulky, outdated metal machines.
WIDESPREAD CUSTOMER ERRORS
What to fear when choosing a sewing machine for the house? It may sound scary, but a lot! Today, it is easy to buy a fake on the market, which will not only disappoint you with the quality of work (or rather, the lack of it) but can even cause injuries. How not to be stupid when choosing a sewing machine? Read about the stupidest mistakes of buyers.
- Buying the cheapest model is often the worst mistake that beginners can make. I do not want to spend a lot of money on something you do not know how to do. But professionals and just lovers of sewing say with one voice: do not set yourself a framework! The sewing machine helps solve a lot of everyday problems and opens up a new world where you can be realized as a person! This is a great hobb thath will save you money to buy clothes and textiles for the houseando allow you to spend your free time with pleasure, implementing their creative ideas. If you buy the simplest model, it will soon limit your imagination’s flight, and you will definitely want to buy a more functional thing. Of course, the old commoner will find a place in the pantry, but why was it to spend money on it initially, that’s the question.
- The possibilities of the sewing machine directly depend on its cost – so many beginners think. It’s a myth that has been dispelled for a long time. Most of today’s low-cost models can cope with completely different types of fabrics, and it depends not on their price, but on what kind of needle and foot to use and what tension thread to install. Before you scrape through the ground to collect the necessary amount to buy a monster, take a closer look at the models of the middle price segment, take a closer look at the instructions: you will likely find a perfect model two to three times cheaper – you will need to buy a couple of extra legs.
- Don’t be afraid of Chinese build! It has long ceased to be synonymous with substandard things. Today, most of the world’s leaders in sewing machines collect their products in China, as it is simply cheaper! It is better to spend time studying the instructions to the model, rather than criticizing the Chinese’s ability to do quality things.
We wish you to make the right choice and decorate your home and wardrobe with unique author’s things!