Distilled water vs purified water – the never-ending dilemma!
Thanks to some great varieties of drinking water, there is always confusion about whether we are drinking quality water or not. The water that we drink plays a crucial role in the overall health and mental development for not only us but for our family as well. Thus, it is quite obvious to be concerned about the quality of drinking water.
Amongst the variety of drinkable water, distilled water and purified water are two of the top choices available. But, which one of the following is the best for you? What is the difference between the two and how they will benefit you?
If you too are looking for these answers, just like many other people, then you are in the right place. Let us take a closer look at both types of drinking water to find out which one out of the two makes the best choice.
So, are you ready? Let’s get started.
What is purified water?
As the name suggests, it is the purest form of water available for the use. This purified water undergoes several filtration processes to ensure delivering the expected quality to the users. Thanks to the processes like distillation, reverse osmosis, ion exchange, etc. you can rely on the effectiveness and quality of the purified water.
One of the biggest attractions of the purified water is the fact that is free from 99% of the impurities. It comes with a value of less than 10 PPM which makes this water highly suitable for drinking purpose. Purified water is generally produced by making the use of ground water or the tap water which undergoes the purification processes.
Purified water is anyhow safe for drinking but by using the filtration methods, its quality is further improved for the best use of the users. However, there are rarely some cases where some impurities remain in the water, especially in the areas where the tap water or ground water is highly contaminated and the used filtration process is not that effective.
What is Distilled water:
Are you ready for the surprise? Yes, there is a surprise for you all.
Most of the people are not aware of the fact that the distilled water is nothing other than a type of purified water. Oh yes, you read that right! Distilled water is just like purified water; however, it is known as distilled water as it undergoes a purification process called distillation.
This process of distillation tends to remove maximum impurities from the water and thus makes it suitable for drinking purpose. Further, distilled water is free from all types of bacteria and contaminations and can be considered a safe choice for drinking.
Talking about the quality of the distilled water, it undergoes the process of boiling and condensing many times and thus it results with 100% pure drinkable water with no impurities and contaminations.
Are both – purified water and distilled water same?
It won’t be wrong to say that both these types of water are the same to some extent but they also stand different than one another. As purified water undergoes different filtration processes, its result can be different than that of distillation process used for distilled water.
The major difference between these water types is their filtration process which further enhances the quality of the water. On one hand, where distilled water is made suitable for drinking needs by using distillation process, on the other hand; the purified water undergoes other filtration ways (reverse osmosis, ion exchange, etc.) for gaining the desired quality to become suitable for drinking purpose.
The best thing is that both these types of water come with TDS count less than 10 PPM which strengthens the fact that these water types can be used for consumption without any worries and fear.
Distilled water vs purified water – what is the difference?
Other than the filtration process, there are some differences in both these types of water which can also help the users to make a suitable decision between the two available options.
- To begin with, in some cases, the purified water is just filtered whereas the distilled water is always boiled and condensed for removing the maximum impurities
- Distilled water is free from all sorts and types of impurities and thus can be trusted for drinking.
- Purified water, on the other hand, contains some of the essential minerals for the body. These available minerals can benefit the human body in many ways
- Distilled water makes the perfect choice to be used for experiments and cleaning needs. It also makes a suitable choice for filing wet batteries
- Talking about purified water, it is used for lab tests, various uses of automotive, autoclaves, laser cutting, etc.
- Surprisingly, distilled water is not effective for the human body. As distilled water undergoes distillation process which removes all impurities; it also removes all minerals from it. Thus, this water does not contain anything and as a result, does not benefit the human body that much. But, it can be used for drinking without any worries
- Purified water undergoes the filtration processes which preserve the minerals present in it. This increases the probabilities of purified water to be most effective and beneficial for the human body needs and requirements
So which one should you choose?
Both purified water and distilled water are safe to drink and make an excellent choice. There is no such huge difference in between the two water options other than the filtration process used for purifying them.
You can choose any of the available options; however, it is suggested to use a high-quality and effective water purifier for being sure of the water that you are drinking.
Water is the most essential requirement for human lives; make sure that you are getting just the best quality of that. If you have any doubts or questions related to the choice of drinkable water, then please do comment below. We will offer you with the required relevant information for your concerns.